Monday meeting notes for 13/5/2019

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 13 11:27:51 BST 2019

Kai Uwe:
Work done:
 Notifications:
 - Merged notifications rewrite \o/
 -- People love it except for some complaints about lack of padding or
alignment which I don't agree with
 -- Blog post: https://blog.broulik.de/2019/05/next-generation-plasma-notifications/
 -- Some minor fixes for issues found after merge
 plasma-browser-integration:
 - Worked on implementing WebShare API https://wicg.github.io/web-share/
connecting to libpurpose
 -- Did some minor refactorings in the way we communicate with the different
parts and made some fixes for Purpose
 - Some tweaks to media controls
 -- Improved volume handling
 -- Better support iframes: D21038
 Diff 21038 "Also store the player's frame ID" [Needs Review] https://
phabricator.kde.org/D21038
 -- Other patches: D21112 D21113 D20830
    Diff 21112 "Support message response and reply callbacks" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D21112
    Diff 21113 "Allow hiding option items depending on available extension and
version in the host" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21113
    Diff 20830 "Add hack to unbreak audio playback through pure JS via new
Audio()" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D20830
 Plasma:
 - Fixed some bugs in the microphone indicator
 Work todo:
 - Please review some of the open patches for notifications and other stuff
since 5.16 Beta tagging is due Thursday
 -- Especially: D21152 D21153 D21164 D21181 D21115
    Diff 21152 "[Notifications] Fix oversight of not taking into account
screen X when placing notifications on the right side of the screen" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21152
    Diff 21153 "[Notifications KCM] Hack scroll bar not crashing" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21153
    Diff 21164 "Replace QUrl::fromUserInput by lighter heuristic" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21164
    Diff 21181 "[Notifications] Ensure "Open" and "More Options" button have
the same height" [Needs Revision] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21181
    Diff 21115 "[KCModuleQML] Fix typo breaking implicitWidth for modules"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21115
 Other:
 - We have a serious regression in qqc2-desktop-style / kirigami

David:
* I merged a patch that gives correct colours to breeze-gtk \o/
* I'd like to get D20890 in, which will allow you to lock a screen on X with a
kwin effect active
    Diff 20890 "Close screen grabbing effect when screensaver starts" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D20890
* I'll be deferring my libkworkspace2 till the next Plasma but will try to
upload everything ready to review this week, all the code is there

Vlad:
Plan to do:
* Merge my axis discrete patches this week.
Ready for review:
* The first patch fixes unexpected roaming of internal clients between layers,
see https://phabricator.kde.org/D21116 "Keep internal clients in the unmanaged
layer"
* The second patch fixes unexpected shrinkage of clients that have been moved
between screens, see https://phabricator.kde.org/D20987 "Compute correct
boundaries in checkWorkspacePosition"
TODO:
* Go through some bug reports, see what I can fix.

Roman:
* As a headsup after beta tagging I want to merge D13284 and series at D21110
into master.
    Diff 13284 "[decorations] Let KDecoration plugins recommend a border size
per default" [Accepted] https://phabricator.kde.org/D13284
    Diff 21110 "On config read adjust outputs positions to global value
changes" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21110
* there is D20186 which I'm not sure should go into upcoming release since
beta release is imminent
    Diff 20186 "[libinput-touchpad-kcm] Use wayland specific touchpad KCM UI
when libinput is used on X11" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/
D20186
* Besides I'm currently working on some ftrace capability in KWin (and X) for
profiling and to use with something like https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis
This should make debussing performance issues in kwin much easier

Marco:
Kirigami:
* Started a branch for "pinning" pages in the PageRow: so that one page can
become a left or right sidebar if needed
Plasma:
* Containment Applets layout c++ rewrite
** finished the layouting code: seems to work slightly better than the current
desktop/folderview containment
** resizeing applets now respects the layouting as well (current desktop
applets layouting code doesn't)
** done the event handling to move via long press
** added resize handles: they know if they were invoked via a press or a
touch, so they can adjust their size/look accordingly
Todo:
* investigate some lnf packages not installing correctly from ghns (knsrc
files moved)
* investigate the recent kirigami crash

--
Marco Martin