D22535: Make kimpanel a system tray applet

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 25 08:19:15 BST 2019

hein added subscribers: mart, hein.
hein added a comment.

  The configuration should be in System Settings, not in this applet, as they're system-global and override keyboard layout settings.

  The 2018 GSoC work started to implement this and got far, and also made kimpanel replace the existing tray keyboard layout indicator in the process and update the OSD and all the other system parts to understand input methods and switch between then. We should look into leveraging at least the applet changes right now and merging them with this patch.

  As for the conceptual change: It's a change I also suggested once, but was veto'd by the kimpanel maintainer at the time who was strongly of the opinion that every icon needs to be visible at all times. The discussion between him, me and @mart at the time was to spawn multiple SNIs and teach the tray to sort them together. I think this is workable but still advocate a single icon by default unless others are explicitly enabled.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop