D22418: WIP [wayland] make automatic backend selection truly automatic

Bart Ribbers noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 18 20:29:57 BST 2019

PureTryOut added a comment.

  @graesslin I'm not sure about compiling twice with different settings, but there is most definitely a use-case for this patch: mobile distros.

  For example postmarketOS (where Alexey and I are from) we tend to run KWin on either the fbdev or DRM backend. However, since last month we also have our first libhybris devices, which use the hwcomposer plugin. The problem with libhybris is that it's unstable, can change a lot, and there are multiple versions to be used depending on the device and Android it comes from.

  We don't know all of this at compile time, and we'll never do. How it currently works means we //do// have to compile it multiple times with different settings for all the variations of libhybris we have, and package them properly so they can't be installed along-side each other as they'll all provide the same files, etc. I think you get my point.

  This patch would mean we can just build a single KWin package, build all the different libhybris variants there are, install the correct one with the device, and the proper hwcomposer backend would be used.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin