how about a developer KCM

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Jul 16 14:33:29 BST 2019

Kai keeps asking where to expose some of the "hidden" config options
in Drkonqi and I keep not having a good answer.

How about we make a developer-only KCM where we can have any amount of
silly configuration options that we would generally not know how to
expose to the user or don't want the user to have readily available?

I seem to recall kwin having some settings which intentionally have no
UI backing. Drkonqi has like 3 or 4 of them even (all to streamline
crash processing for developers) that I am sure maybe 3 people know
about.

There was also some lamenting of persistent notifications in
https://phabricator.kde.org/D22429 which perhaps too could be
influenced by developer-only settings.

Taking a trick from android's playbook you'd have to click the distro
icon kinfocenter 7 times to enable dev mode, which enables a special
KCM to show up in systemsettings where you can then configure hidden
stuff.

Thoughts?