D22468: Rewrite KScreen KCM as ConfigModule with outputs model and Kirigami

Greg Varsanyi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 15 19:12:49 BST 2019

gvarsanyi added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> OutputPanel.qml:96
> +                to: 3
> +                stepSize: 0.2
> +                live: true

`stepSize` settings confuse me a bit. For perOutput it's 0.2, for global, it's 0.1.

I recommend setting both to 0.25 increments.

Both Windows and Gnome devs decided to do 0.25 increments for fractional scaling, and OSX also only has 3 fractional scales for every integer (albeit in logarithmic increments).
Although KDE doesn't have to follow suit, they all might have been onto something.
Advantages of 0.25 steps:

- less prone to weird pixel-problems and artifacts that would come with scales like 1.6 or 1.1
- does not skip the important 1.5 factor (like 0.2 steps would)
- users probably want the 1.25 and 1.75 scale options more than 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 - but they are unavailable with the 0.1 steps
- much easier to run test apps against less (4 vs 10) variants

On the other hand, 0.25 should be good enough granularity for most.

REPOSITORY
  R104 KScreen