RFC: Running clang-format across all Plasma (and more?) repos

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 14 22:38:40 BST 2019

El dijous, 11 de juliol de 2019, a les 16:18:08 CEST, David Edmundson va escriure:
> One topic discussed at the recent Plasma sprint was that we should run
> a code formatting tool (clang-format) over all our repos to ease all
> future review comments about whitespace.
>
> All new contributions simply have to run the same tool and we get
> consistent code without having to comment on every minor thing in a
> review individually.
>
> I've written up a wall of text outlining steps, challenges etc.
> https://phabricator.kde.org/T11214
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts / objections?

If we don't get some sort of precommit hook or "Merge Request" stage support it'll be somewhat useless.

"No one" will run the tool manually before doing a commit, this means that you'll need to run the tool every N months because commits go ignoring the format. I don't think that'd be sustainable in the long runo

I know "automation" is in your plan, but AFAICS only as optional, i don't really think that's optional.

Cheers,
  Albert