D22191: Implement syncing of theme preferences between SDDM and Plasma

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 11 00:11:01 BST 2019

ngraham added a subscriber: leinir.
ngraham added a comment.

  In D22191#493928 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22191#493928>, @filipf wrote:

  > In general we do need an additional message box which says sync successful or failed. And then in the case of failure it should state what failed.
  >
  > But as far as I can tell the operations won't fail. They're all conditional on values being existent or not and if things aren't in order they won't get carried out.

  Famous last words. :) You never know what situations users will get themselves into. Maybe they discover the feature while testing with a live CD where the root filesystem isn't writable, for example.

  In D22191#493928 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22191#493928>, @filipf wrote:

  > I agree with points 2 and 3 as well, but would ask if we could implement it all gradually as working with multiple branches is already getting a bit clumsy.

  Yeah, that makes sense.

  In D22191#493928 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22191#493928>, @filipf wrote:

  > As for point 3, I've looked it additionally and it does complicate things but might be doable. The question is how to interact with the user. We could copy everything to a global directory and then remove it from the user directory (to avoid duplicates in kcms). What sucks is that users could no longer easily remove these theme files via kcms.

  Definitely something to ask @leinir about. The GHNS dialog would have to be involved in any event, either to (optionally or by default) install things globally, to know how to remove themes that are globally installed, and to de-duplicate themes that are installed both locally and globally.

  But yeah, material for another patch.

REPOSITORY
  R123 SDDM Configuration Panel (KCM)