D22296: Port KSMServer to Solid::Power, drop KDELibs4Support requirement

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 8 17:55:45 BST 2019

bruns added a comment.

  In D22296#492147 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22296#492147>, @sitter wrote:

  > So, in order to port to the API, it'd first need finishing up really.

  The question is - do we really want this call here, or not. As is, it is just an expensive noop.

  **Iff** we want the inhibition, I see 3 possibilities:

  1. Teach powerdevil to behave correctly:
    - do the inhibition immediately
    - keep running until all proxied inhibitions are released (maybe this is inversed - do not kill powerdevil from ksmserver).
    - somehow interact with powerdevil from ksmserver
  2. Take an inhibitor lock via DBus (i.e. call `org.freedesktop.login1.Inhibit`) directly
  3. Take an inhibitor lock using `Solid::Power::inhibit`

  (3.) is nothing more than a thin wrapper around (2.) see https://github.com/KDE/solid/blob/master/src/solid/power/backends/freedesktop/fdinhibition.cpp
  Although Solid::Power would give some abstraction, the reality is:

  - only blocking inhibitions are supported
  - only implementation is `org.freedesktop.login1`
  - Solid::Power is very incomplete, e.g. the `statesJob` is just a stub.

  My preference is (0.) or (2.).

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace