D22322: Store crash report automatically if shutting down

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 8 14:43:22 BST 2019

sitter added a comment.

  In D22322#492240 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22322#492240>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > > What's the rationale behind this change? Isn't this use case covered by coredumpd and the like?
  >
  > Well, by that logic we wouldn't have any drkonqi...

  I don't see how.

  Drkonqi is and interactive crash reporter, coredumpd is a non-interactive crash catcher. What the diff is doing is taking away the interactivity of drkonqi in certain cases, and that looks to me like we are simply replicating coredumpd at this point. Specifically the diff adds nothing on top of what coredumpd already does, in fact it's worse because we currently don't capture cores, so you couldn't retrace our saved trace with possibly missing debug symbols.

  The interactive way of handling a crash on logout would be to show drkonqi and let the user file a bug report. Now I understand this isn't all that reliable, so I would discard the crash and just exit under the assumption that a kernel core pattern (e.g. coredumpd) will deal with the crash.

  If you are adamant about this diff I think we need at least a cleanup system to enforce a hard limit on how many traces we keep around, and/or traces of how many logins ago, and/or how many MiB they may consume. Otherwise people are going to get annoyed when there disk is full in a year because the ffmpegthumbnailer crashed a gazillion times ^^

  And perhaps more ideally, albeit not blocking this diff, we should look at reshuffling the architecture so on next login drkonqi auto starts with a list of crashes and the ability to file reports for them.

INLINE COMMENTS

> drkonqi.cpp:226
> +
> +        const QString defname = dirname
> +                        + QLatin1Char('/')

Needs to include pid. I can have multiple kwrites running and they could all be crashing.

REPOSITORY
  R871 DrKonqi