D22210: Fix Name conflict between plasma.desktop and plasmawayland.desktop

Andreas Sturmlechner noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 2 11:57:01 BST 2019

asturmlechner added a comment.

  Well, what's the current situation - SDDM have made the decision on their part to append that tech-garbage for Wayland sessions, users end up with:

  - Plasma
  - Plasma (Wayland)

  Per linked issue it is not going to be like that forever; on every(?) other DM, like lightdm, users can choose between:

  - Plasma
  - Plasma

  ...unless whatever downstream patching has been done to alleviate that issue. That's a real problem, not only because it relies on downstreams to do something, maybe not the right thing, and for users who do not know what to report when they have a problem entering a session (and frustration to decide which is which). Both choices will remain available in the foreseeable future.

  I'd like to get us to a situation where the session naming is consistent on all DMs, the SDDM hack can be dropped and no one needs to patch anything. `Plasma (Wayland)` would eventually become the default choice anyway, then be displayed just as `Plasma` if we don't do anything on our side and only fix SDDM.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace