D18621: Add again a button to manually scan for wireless networks

Valerio Pilo noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jan 30 21:38:25 GMT 2019

vpilo added a comment.

  In D18621#402558 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18621#402558>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In my opinion, this sort of thing is a "help the user feel in control" issue. We had the same sort of conversations in Discover back when it didn't have a manual "refresh updates" button. People constantly complained and we had to explain over and over again that it automatically fetches when launched and periodically after that. Didn't matter; people wanted the button anyway, and periodically managed to get themselves into situations where Discover would get wedged and a button would actually be nice. Eventually we relented and added the button and now people are happy. I think the same thing may be going on here and user confidence in the software would benefit. People would feel more in control with a button they can click on when it's not doing what they expect or not finding their network fast enough.

  1000% this. Who cares about NM 😬 It really is about making it better for the user. I feel that already our 15 seconds timeout is ridiculously long.

  I have made some tests with plasma-nm, and then looked in NM's code <https://github.com/lcp/NetworkManager/blob/master/src/nm-device-wifi.c#L1548>. It's an actual hard timeout of 10 whole seconds.
  I don't really have a clue why would they ever have wanted to introduced this long a timeout. Any mobile device, or Windows, can do much faster than this crap.
  So, anyways, counting the actual timeout plus whatever time your device takes to perform a scan, you can gain up to maybe 4 seconds by refreshing with the button.

  A plus here: we'd be shifting the blame for updating wifis slowly to the actual responsible, networkmanager.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet