D18005: Include only the largest size for each wallpaper

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 6 23:02:10 GMT 2019

filipf added a comment.

  See D18006#387372 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18006#387372>. In short, images were blurry when scaled and cropped.

  > Our run-time resizes will look worse than gimp/inkscape doing it.

  Aside from Plasma doing non-artist style cropping, they seem fine to me tbh.

  > CPU usage to load an image is a sizable amount of our loading. Especially for JPEG images.
  >  You might see that less in 5.x as it now happens in another thread, and we don't necessarily max out all the cores - but still.

  In your estimate, how bad would the added load be?

  > Artists wanted some control over /how/ it's cropped. i.e if you have a mountain on the right and lots of sea to the left, you want to always cut off the boring sea part (i.e the spray folder)

  +1 but we need to do some sort of a trade off here. IMO I'd keep all of sizes for "Next", but for T9817 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T9817> and T10220 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10220> we're put in a pretty bad situation if having to ship all sizes because we'll be want to shipping large resolution wallpapers and quite a few of them.

  For instance, just shipping a certain old Plasma wallpaper adds 20 MiB to the plasma-wallpapers package, which is already almost half of its current size  (a bit over 40 MiB).

  For comparison's sake Deepin, GNOME and Elementary also just offer one size in this extra package from I can tell.

  Also might be worth mentioning that the new photographic wallpapers in T10220 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10220> are CC0 or similar licence (Unsplash) and picked from third-party sites so there's no author involvement with KDE. We're also trying to select them based on whether or not it will get messed up with cropped.

REPOSITORY
  R131 Plasma Wallpapers

BRANCH
  keep-only-largest-size (branched from master)