D18005: Include only the largest size for each wallpaper

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 6 16:56:41 GMT 2019

davidedmundson added a comment.

  What previous technical constraint are you referring to?

  And we've had the multiple resolutions since 4.x so it dates back a long way.

  It's about a few things:

  - CPU usage to load an image is a sizable amount of our loading. Especially for JPEG images.

  You might see that less in 5.x as it now happens in another thread, and we don't necessarily max out all the cores - but still.

  - Artists wanted some control over /how/ it's cropped. i.e if you have a mountain on the right and lots of sea to the left, you want to always cut off the boring sea part (i.e the spray folder)

  - Our run-time resizes will look worse than gimp/inkscape doing it.

REPOSITORY
  R131 Plasma Wallpapers

BRANCH
  keep-only-largest-size (branched from master)