Thunderbolt KCM

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Feb 6 22:26:52 GMT 2019

Hi all,

last year I got a new Dell laptop at work with a docking station connected via
the Thunderbolt thingy and I found out that there's a DBus daemon for Linux
that allows users to authorize TB devices...long story short I somehow
happened to have created a KCM to manage TB devices and a KDED daemon that
shows a notification when an unauthorized device is connected.

Today I finally got the thing into a working and somewhat presentable state,
so I think it's about time to get some input and help from you :-)

First, is this something you Plasma folks would like to have in regular Plasma
releases, or should I just make it an extragear project? If you think it makes
sense to include it in Plasma, should it go to plasma-workspace, or should it
be a standalone thing, like plasma-nm? It does have a runtime dependency on
the Bolt daemon, which people without Thunderbolt in their computer don't
really need...

If you are interested, the code currently lives in my scratch repo [0]. It's
kinda hard to test if you don't happen to have some Thunderbolt hardware at
hand, so there's a "fakeserver" binary in autotests that pretends to be the
Bolt daemon:

	./fakeserver --cfg kcm_bolt/autotest/data/default.json
	KBOLT_FAKE=1 kcmshell5 kcm_bolt

You should see some devices in the KCM now and you should be able to click
around a little. But as I said, it's hard to test it properly without real
hardware (which is why I'm still sitting in the office right now :)), but it
works for me (TM). Anyway I uploaded a short shaky and out-of-focus video of
the KCM in action to Youtube [1] for you to see how it works with real
hardware.

Let me know what you guys think :)

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: looking for a volunteer to create a Thunderbolt icon for Breeze for me ;-)

[0] https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/dvratil/kcm_bolt.git
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx7RHH_LBE

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683