D20569: RFC: Use more compact OSD

Mélanie Chauvel noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Dec 19 02:51:39 GMT 2019

achauvel added a comment.

  The current design seems amazing, how hard would it be to put it as an option? Even it may be better to use the notification system in the long run, accepting this patch or a modified version of it would be better than to wait for a long time still.

  Also, most users wanting to configure the OSD want to 1) use a more compact OSD layout, 2) choose the position it appears, 3) a way to not display them on top of full screen applications. There are no other obvious and popular demands for OSD configuration, as far as I know. So I don’t think it’s worth creating a whole theme section on the KDE Store for at most three options.

  Being able to put the OSD at the top of the screen or in a corner would make it appear not above subtitles, in the top black strip of videos when they do have strips, and not above whatever you’re doing if you’re not watching a video. So by implementing 1) and 2), 3) is probably not even necessary.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace