D19890: Reduce the indicator arrow size for press-and-hold menus in QToolButtons

Hugo Pereira Da Costa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Dec 13 22:31:22 GMT 2019

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  In D19890#577204 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19890#577204>, @ndavis wrote:

  > Ok, so there is an overlap problem, but it's quite rare. It happens when an icon uses 100% of the available space in the bottom right corner (or left with RTL, I think).
  >  Here I changed the stop icon in KDevelop to the icon for Codelite: F7817068: Screenshot_20191213_171219.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7817068>.
  >
  > I could get around this in a number of ways that all have their downsides:
  >  1/ Move the arrow to the very bottom right and make sure it's small enough that no clipping happens
  >
  > - This looks bad and makes it harder to see the arrow 2/ Reduce the default icon size for flat buttons
  > - This is more consistent with non-flat buttons, but I like the bigger icons. They're more readable too.

  > 3/ Increase the padding around flat buttons
  >
  > - I like the current padding 4/ Ignore the problem
  > - Will look fine with most icon themes, but bad in some cases such as the one described above.

  Confused about 2: I thought icon size was the same for flat and non flat toolbuttons (see oxygen-demo5, buttons tab)
  About 3: really I think that would be bad
  I too think that either 4 (ignoring the problem) or 5: don't change the current code, and dont revert the revert, is the way to go.
  for 4: only a few icons would be affected, and only for toolbuttons with long popup delay (the only case for which this arrow is drawn).
  These are already rather rare, and considered bad UI anyway if I remember right.

  Please pretty please, do not (re) add this arrow (whether tiny or large) to instant-popup toolbuttons ...

  Hugo

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze