D23389: Move "Make default" action out of the context menu and into a discoverable button

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Aug 24 03:31:57 BST 2019

ngraham created this revision.
ngraham added reviewers: drosca, Plasma, VDG.
Herald added a project: Plasma.
ngraham requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  We get numerous complaints that it's hard to figure out how to make an audio device the
  default for playback or output. Despite the multiple methods (drag-and-drop, hamburger
  menu item), it still seems un-discoverable for many users.

  This patch attempts to address the issue by adding a big, obvious Make default
  button right there on the device's list item. The button is only shown when there is
  more than one device that could be the default.

  Various elements of the UI are adjusted to adape to and accommodate this change:

  - The hamburger menu button is given a buttonlike appearance so as to not look weird next to the other button
  - The Default menu item is removed because the button makes it unnecessary
  - The Mute menu item is removed for the same logic: because there's already a visible UI for it

  This is an alternative to D23386 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23386>, which, upon reflection, is kind of clunky.

  FEATURE: 411065
  FIXED-IN: 5.17.0

TEST PLAN
  Connected my Bluetooth speaker and toggled between it and the internal speakers using
  the new button: F7275007: BIG BUTTONS.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7275007>

  My wife was impressed by how easy it was and how the audio instantly switched.

REPOSITORY
  R115 Plasma Audio Volume Applet

BRANCH
  master