D20724: Keep player around when emptied but the website tells us it's actually just paused

Kai Uwe Broulik noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 22 09:53:00 BST 2019

broulik added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> fvogt wrote in content-script.js:358
> Doesn't `player.paused` work here?

No. This case here is so when you empty the player, e.g. use ajax page nav to navigate away, we stop controlling the player. It is always paused when emptied, so this would just noop.
With media session api we give the website some control of providing a playback status we communicate to the user regardless of their implementation detail.
In theory they could even show media controls without ever using a HTML5 audio/video object (which we don't support as of now) purely using media sessions

REPOSITORY
  R856 Plasma Browser Integration