Plasma Dev Docs questions

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 14:00:40 BST 2019

> What areas have received the most interest from new developers? What have been their most frequently asked questions?

Not quite "plasma", but Kirigami and making QtQuick apps which include
targeting plasma mobile is definitely the biggest area

> - What problems has the team had with the current docs and systems (apidocs, wiki, etc.)

On apidocs one big technical problem we have is that we have 2 languages.

There's C++ code which creates QML/JS bindings.

Writing a plasmoid or kwin script or whatever (in theory) only
requires knowledge of the bindings, not the C++ API.
We've recently got new devs in core plasma that can't code C++,
probably even more likely for people doing 3rd party stuff.

Kwin has an outdated wiki:
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting/API_4.9
Which is horrible as it bears no relation to the code behind it and
gets unmaintained

Plasma used to do this too, but then moved to trying to making doxygen
try and be useful:
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/html/classColorScope.html
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/html/classorg_1_1kde_1_1plasma_1_1components_1_1TextField.html

Which is equally horrible as it exposes internals someone using QML
doesn't care about, and documents the methods not the properties.
It also requires these static Doxygen pages which list the registered
QML names which people always break.

Qt's documentation generates two distinct pages and is amazing:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qquickitem.html
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-item.html show the same class but
as you'd see them with the two languages.

This is a big problem across all frameworks as we move to using QtQuick more.