D15341: [Plasma Search KCM] Add a UI tab for editing shortcuts.

James Smith noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Sep 11 08:02:56 BST 2018

smithjd added a comment.

  In D15341#323730 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15341#323730>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D15341#323715 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15341#323715>, @smithjd wrote:
  >
  > > KRunner as a standalone application does much more than search for files. Therefore adding independent shortcut configurability isn't so hard to justify. Kicker/Kickoff and dolphin search text input shortcuts on the other hand are configurable globally already, and only perform a subset of what KRunner does.
  >

  > Can you explain why the fact that KRunner does more than the search fields in Kicker/Kickoff and Dolphin is a justification for allowing you to customize a small subset of the navigation shortcuts there, but not elsewhere? Help me understand where you're coming from. If you'd want to use [ctrl] + [e] and [ctrl] + [s]  (etc.) to navigate in KRunner, why wouldn't you want to use them elsewhere too? What's the difference?

  Global in-application shortcuts can already be customized. The problem is that often the desired shortcut is already assigned to some other action, such as Ctrl+S for saving across all applications. Reassigning Ctrl+S **globally** just for one application is terrible from a HIG perspective, so an application-specific override must be considered. A welcome side-effect from this is the large number of shortcuts now available to KRunner that don't impact global actions.

  In KRunner a larger percentage of the functionality is derived of text input, Dolphin / Kicker / Kickoff aren't similar to bash / KRunner in this regard and so wouldn't benefit as much from configurable input navigation shortcuts. The global shortcuts will still have the same actions as other applications unless the global shortcut is used for a KRunner action.

  IMO, this feature should already be a part of KRunner, though it hasn't had an outstanding absence. The notion that global shortcuts should be shuffled for a single application is wrong. Changing the global shortcut for the same //type// of input navigation may suit the user, though this shouldn't be encouraged for only a single application. Promoting global shortcuts over an application-specific configureability is always wrong, and less right when there's already a patch. :)

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop