D15093: Add WireGuard capability.

Bruce Anderson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 5 10:54:18 BST 2018

andersonbruce marked an inline comment as done.
andersonbruce added a comment.

  In D15093#320577 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15093#320577>, @jgrulich wrote:

  > Does wg-quick support both, like simple commands and script files? If so, we should support both as well, if it supports only commands/snippets, we should leave it as it is.

  OK, it's more complicated than I thought.

  As a little background 'wg-quick' is a shell script that comes with the WireGuard kernel module and is provided to give a simple method of setting up basic connections. If you are trying to do something complex, I think you have to do it yourself with a combination of 'wg' (a lower level command that also come with the WireGuard package) and other ordinary networking commands. As far as I can tell all of this code is well done (even Linus "loved" it)
  The NetworkManager WireGuard addon on the other hand is not an official part of NetworkManager (even if it is linked to on their site) and they aren't doing any official upkeep on it so it is sort of you get what you get. Unfortunately that is somebody's Senior Thesis project. I want to make clear that i am not saying anything bad about the author, he is up front about the origins of the code and it certainly works well enough that I have been using it for a few months now and well enough that I wanted to take the time to write the plasma-nm code to go along with it.

  All that being said, the NM addon is not complete. I knew this before because it do didn't anything with the DNS field (even though it had an entry and it stored it) and I had to add it in myself because I needed it for my use case. Until tonight when I did some experimenting, however, I didn't know that the Pre/Post Up/Down entries are like that too where they are entered but not used when it calls wg-quick.

  Given this new information as well as the fact that there is a disconnect between what wg-quick wants and what the NM addon takes in, most notably, wg-quick specifically accepts multiple instances of each but the NM addon only allows one line of input.

  I would therefore propose that I remove all of the Pre/Post Up/Down entries for now since they won't do anything anyway and worry about adding them back in if the NM addon implements them properly and then match its implementation.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet