D15093: Add WireGuard capability.

Bruce Anderson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Sep 3 09:23:14 BST 2018

andersonbruce added a comment.

  In D15093#319253 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15093#319253>, @pino wrote:

  > Much better now!
  >
  > - regarding the UI for all the pre/post scripts: since they are file paths, better use a KUrlRequester widget (limited to local existing files only, no URLs), so the users have a Browse button next to each line edit that can be used to open a file dialog

  I debated with myself when I started this whether to include these at all. They are included in the base NetworkManager implementation which "inherited" them from the underlying wg-quick command but they duplicate functionality that NM provides directly and it seems to me that if someone is using NM then they can use those methods instead. Also, wg-quick specifies these as "script snippets" meaning actual direct commands that are executed by bash not necessarily a shell script. It also specifies that there can be multiple instances of each, a capability that the base NM implementation does not support. So my quandary is, do I implement this like the base NM does and possibly, as you suggest, force it to be a single shell script which sort of violates the spirit of the wg-quick command or do I delete it completely and not support something that base NM does, or do I leave it like it is?

  Personally I think that the base NM should get rid of these and force users to rely on the capability in NM to perform pre and post operations but given what exists, I don't think any of the alternatives are good and I'm not sure what the "least bad" solution is. If someone uses nm-connection-editor and enters something which is not a script and then opens the connection in a plasma-nm interface which only supports a file, I'm not sure what will happen. On the other hand if I delete the fields completely and open something created in nm-connection-editor with these fields, that's not good either.

  Since I initially was doing this only for my own use and was probably going to use NM for this, I admit that I took the easiest way out and duplicated what base NM has, which is a single string which can contain a shell script but also a snippet as the base WireGuard does and then said in the tool-tip that it was preferable to use NM capability instead.

  If you as a representative of the plasma-nm philosophy have a preference on which way to go or have a brilliant idea which solves all the problems, I will follow your lead.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet