D14949: Add option for whether to show the volume change OSD

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 3 18:33:35 BST 2018

filipf added a comment.

  The position that current state is the one and only way really puzzles me if I'm trying to look at it rationally.

  Personally, I'm actually fine with they way things are and would probably not change much in my config, but I believe the following two arguments have merit:

  1. the square OSDs inefficiently consume space -> they just seem like copying  macOS; Windows is more efficient (and more informative since it provides values as well) ... someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason I see for having them be that big is maybe if you're far away from the screen, otherwise the user could easily tell they're affecting e.g. audio even if the icon was many times smaller.

  2. the OSDs **do** sometimes get in the way while in full screen apps -> gaming and watching videos being the most common actions where you may not want any OSD interference; side-note: the OSDs are big and ugly when running older games which do not support your screen resolution

  I think these are legitimate issues regardless of whether or not there has been talk about it on Reddit or elsewhere and I do not think addressing them should be seen as catering to a small group of users, but instead as following through on KDE's philosophy. Those that are okay with the defaults just use the defaults, however, Plasma is meant to be powerful when needed. On a practical and comparative level the user can already change the panel location and size, the location of notifications and so many other things... why must OSDs be a non-configurable thing then?