Monday meeting notes for 19/11/2018

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:44:53 GMT 2018

Eike:
* I've come back from extended absence + a short vacation, and started going
through my giant backlog of tickets today
* Out of that came a Task Manager performance improvement, two Kickoff
regression fixes and some other bugfix so far
* Currently I'm to stem a tide of brokenness in Folder View, where nested
popups are hosed, and other things I've come back from extended absence + a
short vacation, and started going through my giant backlog of tickets today
* Out of that came a Task Manager performance improvement, two Kickoff
regression fixes and some other bugfix so far
* Currently I'm to stem a tide of brokenness in Folder View, where nested
popups are hosed, and other things
* Aside from all of that, this week I want to take a stab at rewriting the
sync code in the Wayland virtual desktops KCM, so the shell side of the
virtual desktop work can go on

Roman:
* Worked on KScreen. Have a larger partch series up for review and a mail on
plasma-devel describing the core concepts
   Diff 16997 "[kcm] Expose interface to control output property retention"
[Changes Planned] https://phabricator.kde.org/D16997
* Also pushed my abstract output changes to KWin:
   Diff 16785 "Handle Wayland change sets in AbstractOutput" [Closed] https://
phabricator.kde.org/D16785
Question from Eike: I think it would be nice to have a Markdown file with a
table of Wayland protocols and implementation status/plan in the kwin.git
repo, btw - I get a lot of "does KWin implement this protocol" or "when will
it get implemented" questions, and the Phab tasks aren't as convenient as doc
link (to decide between kwayland and kwin)
>From Bhushan: probably in kwin a file which tells about opengl/gles extensions

David:
* Spent some time fixing kwin unit tests. Which reminds me that we need to get
on top of the rest of plasma's.
* This week I'll spend on some KIO work, I have a reproducible bug in trash://
that came from a plasma bug report
* and on wayland stuff, I've started XDG-Deco protocol, should have that ready
later this week

Vlad:
 Done:
 * Split the Fade effect into two effects: one that animates toplevel
windows(called Fade) and the other one that animates popups(called Fading
Popups);
 * Made Fade, Glide, and Scale effect mutually exclusive in the Desktop
Effects KCM;
 * Ported AnimationEffect to TimeLine;
 * When you change the window title font size, the new height of window
titlebars will be applied immediately;
 * retarget() now works as expected, which means the Morphing Popups effect
should be a little bit smoother:
     - before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTGfIXkYzs
     - after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXtRi2ZgOk
 * Re-implemented the Dim Screen effect in JavaScript;
 * The Dialog Parent effect now smoothly brightens main windows when a full
screen effect(e.g. Slide) gets activated;
 * Rewrote the Fade Desktop effect;
 * Added redirect() and complete() to scripted effects API. The former
function changes the direction of a given animation, the latter function fast
forwards a given animation to the target position.
 Under review/Waiting for review:
 * "Fix" lowerClient/raiseClient for group transients.
 Todo:
 * Investigate why in some cases we're re-inserting deleted clients(e.g.
Client) back into the unconstrained stacking order.
 Postponed:
 I spent the weekend implementing multisampling support in KWin and here's the
short summary: multisampling is way too expensive than I expected; only two
effects(Flip Switch and Cover Switch) are not affected by big frame drop.
[Flip Switch with MSAAx4](https://photos.app.goo.gl/pycpSpDmUWPHutzd8) [Magic
Lamp with MSAAx4](https://photos.app.goo.gl/sAPL1tdwkGaXZUPa9)
 That's not quite correct to make decisions based on results observed on a
single machine, but in general, KWin should not be expected to run on some
high-end gaming rig, etc.
 We also can't use post-processing anti-aliasing techniques(like, FXAA)
because text will be blurry.
 ----
 also
 could someone please take a look at D16228? the review process got stuck
   Diff 16228 "Raise window group together with group transient" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D16228
 if that's indeed a bad idea to raise window group
 then I would like abandon the patch and rework lowerClient

Bhushan:
- Request for implementation of : EGL_KHR_patitial_update for kwin https://
gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/mesa/issues/59
 - I want to spend some time on whole "scaling issue" in Plasma Mobile, we are
doing some magic based on font size or something on phone AFAIU, and it is
recurring complaint (Schedule some time this week with David and Marco)
 - I also see that we are using Oxygen fonts in phone and should be switched
to Noto.
 the EGL_KHR_partial_update will improve the wayland performance on pinebook
for example ^^

Kai Uwe:
 * plasma-browser-integration
> [...]

 could someone please take a look at D16228? the review process got stuck
   Diff 16228 "Raise window group together with group transient" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D16228
 if that's indeed a bad idea to raise window group
 then I would like abandon the patch and rework lowerClient

Bhushan:
- Request for implementation of : EGL_KHR_patitial_update for kwin https://
gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/mesa/issues/59
 - I want to spend some time on whole "scaling issue" in Plasma Mobile, we are
doing some magic based on font size or something on phone AFAIU, and it is
recurring complaint (Schedule some time this week with David and Marco)
 - I also see that we are using Oxygen fonts in phone and should be switched
to Noto.
 the EGL_KHR_partial_update will improve the wayland performance on pinebook

 ** various fixes for download handling
 ** fixes and improvements for KDE Connect
 * fixes for libdbusmenu-qt
 * Baloo runner filters duplicates
 * Icon fix for Yakuake
 * please review D16435 D16889 D16301
 Diff 16435 "Also catch new Audio() elements" [Needs Review] https://
phabricator.kde.org/D16435
 Diff 16889 "Listen to KDE Connect device signals" [Needs Review] https://
phabricator.kde.org/D16889
 Diff 16301 "Remove ComponentInstaller" [Needs Review] https://
phabricator.kde.org/D16301

Marco:
mostly worked on other stuff last week, related to Plasma is:
QtQuickControls2:
* Text selection controls for touch screens (selection handles, cut/copy/paste
floating toolbar)
** For Plasma Style
** For Desktop Style D16860
Kirigami:
* possibility to have global headers/menubars in ApplicationWindow at the same
time as a Sidebar Drawer
* Better sizing of Kirigami Headings: in Plasma components make the sizing
exactly the same for better consistency

--
Marco Martin