D12982: Make the new KCMs with QtQuick translatable

Luigi Toscano noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 30 14:24:24 UTC 2018

ltoscano added a comment.

  In D12982#270846 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12982#270846>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > > is this something that needs to be fixed in kdeclarative
  >
  > I don't think so.
  >  This patch seems fine, it's no different to our current state of how applet translations work following a fixed pot schema.

  That's different: I see KCMs are libraries, but they introduce an exception in the way the translation domain is defined for a library. And even for applets I would argue that the case may be needed, but let's move it.

  Applet won't need to co-exist, KCMs may need to do it.

  >>   would a patch to fix this (define the translation domain in the same way as the other libraries, not related to component name) accepted?
  >
  > Accepted, sure. But the QtQuick loading is quite separate from the library here, so I'm not sure it's easy.

  I think it would be acceptable to use KLocalizedString::setApplicationDomain, even if introduces an exception, but at least not *another* way to set the translation domain.

  Would that work/be easier to implement for this dynamic setting?

  > If we want to have QtQuick only KCMs (something I think probably isn't useful, but I know Marco wants) we would still need to load pots based on plugin metadata names like it is currently.

  I still think that there is a use case for translation domain unrelated to metadata (if you mean static KAboutData settings).

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop