D13064: reimplemented drop-down menu arrow in toolbuttons in case of instant inline popup

Hugo Pereira Da Costa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu May 24 07:55:22 UTC 2018

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  In D13064#267463 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13064#267463>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Got the chance to test this out.  Functionally, it works great, and resolves the issue!
  >
  > Visually, I can understand you guys's hesitation about bringing the arrows back, because they do seem to lack that //je-ne-sais-quoi//, somehow. I wonder if the arrow might look nicer if it was vertically centered, instead of appearing towards the bottom of the button. The downward-pointing arrow is centered in other Breeze contexts (comboboxes and drop-down menu buttons, for example).
  >
  > Perhaps we could experiment with different arrow appearances so that they feel more natural? I feel like these arrows can work great in other non-Breeze contexts. Thunderbird, for example:
  >
  > F5865940: Screenshot_20180523_212216.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5865940>

  Vertically centered arrows we also already use, and they correspond to buttons for which the button itself and the arrow are two different actions.
  See: F5866110: Screenshot_20180524_075343.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5866110>
  (from oxygen-demo 5)

  The use of an off centered, slightly smaller arrow located closer to the icon is to convey the information that it is not a different action, but "the same".
  Other themes (most Qt themes in fact) use the same convention.
  I do not think changing the arrow style will improve the situation much, and on the contrary might introduce inconsistency in the style with respect to other arrows. If this path is to be followed, it must be part of a more conscious revisiting of the breeze widget style, and not an isolated change.

  Finally, one should also check how this looks when enabling text beside, or below the icons (two options that we support). Trying so you will see that this is looking even worse. This is true for breeze, but also for all the other Qt styles around that I could check.

  This is what I meant in the bug report when saying that the main reason why I disabled the arrow was a lack of good design for it.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze