D13058: Remove legacy Wine hack-around from rules rc.

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 23 11:45:55 UTC 2018

hein updated this revision to Diff 34702.
hein added a comment.

  It turns out Wine installs its Windows Program Loader as a wine.desktop
  file, which is useful to "Open With" .exe files, but means if Wine doesn't
  set a WM_CLASS that we can find a .desktop file by StartupWMClass for, we
  map windows to this wine.desktop, which leads to a crappy UX.

  This wine.desktop file thankfully sets NoDisplay=true, so let's expand
  on our cautious earlier decision to check for NoDisplay only when looking
  inside .desktop files, to also check NoDisplay when matching by .desktop
  file name.

  The StartupWMClass handling still doesn't check for NoDisplay, so an app
  dev can force to a NoDisplay .desktop by setting StartupWMClass (in keep-
  ing with the earlier decision to trust StartupWMClass as an overriding
  directive).

  The Rewrite Rules engine similarly doesn't check for NoDisplay so you
  need to know what you're doing when writing rules. It didn't seem good
  to restrict it in some way, since the entire point of Rewrite Rules is
  to be able to override compiled code behavior.

  I can't see any downside to checking NoDisplay for the .desktop file
  name match part, since those are the "vanilla case" blocks where we
  try to associate windows with apps on the menu.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

CHANGES SINCE LAST UPDATE
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D13058?vs=34699&id=34702