D12969: [Kicker] Only show "Add to Panel (Widget)" When there's no Task Manager

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 22 12:54:45 UTC 2018

hein added a comment.

  > That's disappointing to hear and a bit frustrating considering that it never came up in the Bugzilla ticket I filed months 3 ago

  I've never seen that ticket because it was filed against the wrong component and I wasn't CC'd on it. Making sure the relevant maintainer is in the loop is a good way to get feedback early and avoid frustration.

  > the patch was approved by one Plasma developer

  This should be a lesson that a random "code looks good" accept doesn't always get patches in. If you don't have that expectation it also helps with frustration.

  > In my bug triaging and online user support, I encounter many people being confused by the distinction between panel launchers and pinned Task Manager icons.

  Good, we should fix that. Not by taking features away people many like and rely on, though. And I know they do, because I too have interacted with users over the many years I've worked on the related features. Many users don't like launchers that disappear when launched because it conflates two things they regard as unrelated. This is e.g. why the Quick Launch applet is popular, too, because a lot of people don't realize there's "Add to Panel" and think Quick Launch is the only way to get this behavior.

  A possible way forward would be a combo of this patch and a new "Always show" checkbox for TM launchers, but without some more work this means one additional setup step for people who want persistent launchers. TM launchers also have more constrains placed on them on where on the panel you can move them, which is also a problem this wouldn't fix. I'm therefore not really happy with this proposal. I guess it needs more discussion and thought.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop