D12835: Draw borders around side panels by default

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon May 14 13:02:50 UTC 2018

romangg added subscribers: hein, romangg.
romangg added a comment.

  I agree with you @ngraham that the current design is not optimal and is not standardized enough in our HIG nor in practical usage by KDE apps and Plasma.

  But simply changing the default and by that adding more frames again as already said by others here is not the right way forward. I personally like @abetts mockups for System Settings in this regard featuring "inverted" colors [1]. It's also what other modern UIs currently seem to favor and also what for example @hein chose for his Konversation QML rewrite [2]

  If we want to go into such a direction in general (i.e. in Breeze, Plasma and Apps and above all the HIG) this needs to be discussed in the VDG. It should also become part of T7983 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T7983>. See our comments there in regards to the usage of color, light and geometric objects to express functionality and/or structure. What I mean by that is: this needs to be discussed on a more abstract level being valid for all KDE software with modern Ui and a concrete decision then deduced.

  [1] M112 <https://phabricator.kde.org/M112>
  [2] http://i.imgur.com/7G0rBOL.png

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze