D12835: Draw borders around side panels by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 13 13:19:23 UTC 2018

ngraham abandoned this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Wow, I didn't know what a minefield I was stepping into with this topic... but I believe my suspicions are confirmed that this design choice represented a compromise that did not satisfy everyone--hence the option. I can see now that flipping this default won't cut it, and we need to do some more serious design work if any changes are to be made. I'll see if I can dig up the history behind this (already found https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=120006) so I can be more informed going forward.

  What I see folks objecting to most in the discussion here is the frame. That's actually the part I think is least important and that I'll agree is most dated-looking. To me, what's needed is a bit more visual separation of the list and the content area-it doesn't need to be a frame though! What needs to be communicated is that they're connected, but different. Conventional tabbed views accomplish this very well, but I'm not sure the current design here does the same. The categories just feel unmoored to me, floating there in the window without enough containment. To me they feel jarringly like they could escape underneath the part of the window where the blue line doesn't extend all the way to the bottom. And it feels awkward that their background color is the same as the rest of the window. Most other UIs in our software that involve sidebars use a different color for the backgrounds of the sidebar and the content area (but often inconsistently).

  And yes, all of this is my subjective feeling.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze