no OSK in Plasma Mobile

Heather Ellsworth heather.ellsworth at puri.sm
Sat Mar 17 01:01:24 UTC 2018

On 03/15/2018 09:10 PM, Bhushan Shah wrote:
> Hello Heather,
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 06:57:27PM -0600, Heather Ellsworth wrote:
>> I've been running Plasma Mobile on my iMX6 dev board (precursor to the
>> dev kit for the Librem 5) and I've notices there's no onscreen keyboard.
>> Is it there and I'm just not initializing it? Or what is the story with
>> the OSK in Plasma Mobile?
>
> For OSK, you just need to install qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin package, it
> should give you working on-screen-keyboard for the Qt applications. It
> is however possible that QtVirtualKeyboard is disabled by default if you
> have keyboard attached. In that case you can enable it by clicking on
> virtualkeyboard icon in top drawer.
>
> You can also "export QT_VIRTUALKEYBOARD_STYLE=Plasma" for better theming
> integration with Plasma Mobile.

After installing qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin and exporting
QT_VIRTUALKEYBOARD_STYLE, we still do not see a keyboard icon in the top
left of the Plasma Mobile desktop.

Similarly, we do not see the icon after manually enabling the keyboard with:

$ qdbus org.kde.KWin /VirtualKeyboard org.kde.kwin.VirtualKeyboard.enable

However, after enabling the keyboard with the above qdbus command, we
see the keyboard pop up when a text field is clicked (like the search
bar, kwrite, konsole) but then the keyboard immediately goes away.

Also in the lock screen, I see the virtual keyboard icon in the bottom
left. When I click it, the virtual keyboard appears and does not
disappear. Then I can type in the password (using Ctrl+Super to guide my
mouse) to log back in.

So the virtual keyboard works, but when in the desktop session the
keyboard goes away right after it appears. Any troubleshooting advice
you have would be helpful.

Cheers,
Heather