D11358: Give file and folder names a bit more room in Folder View

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 15 17:12:20 UTC 2018

hein accepted this revision.
hein added a comment.

  Folder View always reserves enough vertical space to fit the configured number of lines to keep an evenly-spaced grid. The default number of lines should therefore strike a happy medium between conserving vertical space to fit more rows and catering to the odd longer file name. 3 would optimize for most file names being so long that even with ellision they're not readable at two lines, which I don't feel is warranted.

  As for making it configurable - maybe. Not sure. I'm not there yet, because on my end, the user complaints have stopped with 4.10 when we prominently followed feedback and made the delegates and grid tighter. Before that we got tickets about it more regularly, which has mostly ceased, and the release itself was met with lots of positive feedback. I therefore feel that we've been doing quite well at iterating towards what makes most people happy. I'm sure it's always possible to find individual opinions that buck the trend, but I have to integrate the feedback channels somehow.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

BRANCH
  more-generous-folder-view-title-display (branched from master)