D11071: [RFC] [Active Window Control] Allow global menu be left alligned with buttons on right

Martin Kostolný noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 7 01:05:52 UTC 2018

martinkostolny added a comment.

  Thanks for taking the time to think about this.

  The number of settings (and their inconsistencies) are actually a big pain of this project. I'd like to rework it from the ground up. So if I may, I'd like to postpone your patch. When I'm finished with the planned rework I'll definitely add your use-case into account.

  I'd actually like to present my point of view here so we can discuss if it is a good idea or not:

  I'm proposing to have a bunch of standalone items with some common placement settings. The items are:

  - icon
  - text
  - window buttons
  - appmenu

  Mentioned items would be placeable by drag-drop in settings like window buttons are already.

  Each item would have following settings in common:

  - occupying | floating
  - horizontal alignment: left | right

  Window text and appmenu would additionally have:

  - fill width
  - fill height (default: true)

  Appmenu and buttons would additionaly have:

  - height
  - vertical alignment: top | bottom | center
  - hide on mouse out

  Of course there will still be specific settings for the items like window title eliding etc.

  I also plan to create some presets like:

  1. Unity (Ubuntu style)
  2. Thick (thick panel with floating and disappearing menu and buttons over icon and title)
  3. One Liner (from the left: buttons, icon, window text, appmenu)

  Any opinions are appreciated :).

REPOSITORY
  R884 Active Window Control Applet for Plasma