D11069: [WIP] refine decoration shadows

Vlad Zagorodniy noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 5 21:19:11 UTC 2018

zzag added a comment.

  In D11069#219426 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11069#219426>, @hpereiradacosta wrote:

  > Hello,
  >  Thanks for the patch.
  >
  > - As we discussed already in telegram, I am not convinced you absolutely need fast fourier transform nor blur, and could probably handled thing with "simple" QGradients. If you do not have time to try implement such a solution, I can give it a shot myself whenever there is time.

  It's a little bit hard(at least for me) to make good lookin shadows with gradients. For example, how would someone handle corners with gradients? Blur makes things much easier..

  So, yeah, could you please implement these softer shadows with gradients?

  > - I can also help with moving the loading and destroying of the shadow to the pluggin loading/unloading rather than to first and last window opening. (this could also go in with the current shadows in fact, and would rather be a separate patch).

  It would be great to get help with plugins. I'm not familiar with KPlugin shenanigans

  > - Also, these shadows look nice but are rather strong. To me they represent a shift of paradigm with respect to the original (subtle) breeze ideas. But that is not me to decide. Still: could you also post screenshots with the smaller sizes ? And then we can discuss what the default size should be.

  They're not final. Shadow params is an open question. Yes, I'll post them later.

  Also, could some of original Breeze authors review this too?

  > - finally, I really don't think we need too separate setting for the two shadow strength. These are just implementation details. IMHO. And will make the code very hard to maintain. (how do you test that all combinations of settings look good ?)

  These shadows are softer than shadows in kstyle. So, single shadow strength option doesn't fit for both of them, it either

  - makes decoration shadows very light, and kstyle shadows normal
  - makes decoration shadows normal, and kstyle shadows really dark

  I'm still thinking about it, having two different shadow styles is not OK.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze