Minutes monday meeting week 29

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:15:32 BST 2018

Meeting for 23/7/2018

Eike:
* I reworked my trio of wayland/virtual desktop patches, the DND stuff (pager
to pager, tm to pager) is now on par with X11, sans moving window position
within the screen since there's no protocol for it
* I fixed some model bugs in Folder View that hit a new assert in Qt 5.11+
*‎ I fixed Kickoff's size hints in the panel, but I have to upload a revised
patch after the meeting after review from Kai
* I'm deep into debugging a weird KIO issue - if the desktop path is like /
path/to/symlinked-folder/folder, then realtime dir updates (new files, etc.)
don't work. It works in Dolphin and the file dialogs, so I'm debugging why FV's
KDirModel behaves differently FV model patch: D14243

Some discussion about bugs in highdpi scalingfor plasmashell in wayland, seems
a cache invalidation issue, maybe the culript is that the elementSize cache
doesn't have the dpi in the name

Roman:
---------------------------------
‎ What I did since last meeting:
‎ ------------------------------
‎ * Some more work on pointer constraints (T8923)
‎ * Small optimizations to Xwayland support in KWin
‎ * Research for Xwayland Drag and Drop support: T4611
‎ * Had short video call with d_ed to test setup. Setup has room for
improvements. We will test again in a similar call next week.
‎ ----------------------
‎ What I want to do now:
‎ ----------------------
‎ * Wait for refreshed review of D14176, otherwise push till tomorrow.
‎ * Then close T8923 by doing the last action item: removing the annoying
warning messages
‎ * Continue work on Xwayland DnD
‎ * Talk to GNOME about session restore via DBus (couldn't reach them last wee
‎ -------------------
‎ Questions/Problems:
‎ -------------------
‎ * Couldn't reach GNOME last week to talk about session restore. Decided to
postpone for now and work instead on above first.---------------------------
‎ What I did since last meeting:
‎ ------------------------------
‎ * Some more work on pointer constraints (T8923)
‎ * Small optimizations to Xwayland support in KWin
‎ * Research for Xwayland Drag and Drop support: T4611
‎ * Had short video call with d_ed to test setup. Setup has room for
improvements. We will test again in a similar call next week.
‎ ----------------------
‎ What I want to do now:
‎ ----------------------
‎ * Wait for refreshed review of D14176, otherwise push till tomorrow.
>‎ Diff 14176 "Use locked cursor position hint" [Accepted] https://
phabricator.kde.org/D14176
‎ * Then close T8923 by doing the last action item: removing the annoying
warning messages
‎ * Continue work on Xwayland DnD
‎ * Talk to GNOME about session restore via DBus (couldn't reach them last wee
‎ -------------------
‎ Questions/Problems:
‎ -------------------
‎ * Couldn't reach GNOME last week to talk about session restore. Decided to
postpone for now and work instead on above first.

Kai:
Work done:
‎ - Various KIOSK-related fixes and testing
‎ - Minor fix in KMessageBox
‎ - Investigated porting KNotifications from Phonon to QtMultimedia but proved
more difficult than I hoped
‎ -- Phonon blocks in destructor for some reason leading to apps freezing for
couple of seconds after closing a KMessageBox (that played a sound)
‎ - Various plasma-browser-integration fixes and features
‎ -- Improved performance and reliability, multiple media player support
‎ - Please review
‎ -- D14185
‎ -- D14009
‎ -- for plasma-browser-integration:
‎ --- D14207
‎ --- D14226
‎ --- D14221
‎ --- D14217
‎ Work todo:
‎ - Continue working on libnotificationmanager
‎ -- A new library for notifications, with proper C++ models and proxy model
layering inspired by libTaskManager
‎ -- Have an architecture plan in my head, started pouring it into code,
nagging Sho_ about model stuff as needed :)
‎ -- Basically: NotificationServer is a singleton that does all the DBus stuff,
emits "Notification" objects. The NotificationModel is a dumb list of all
notifications. Then we'll get a tree proxy grouping thing ontop to group them
by app. Perhaps also some other filter models like for the history that only
keeps notifications with Normal or High urgency, etc. Pretty tedious and boring
stuff but the end result is hopefully worth it.
‎ -- Discussed with VDG in more detail what UI should look like
‎ --- https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Notifications

Following, some discussions about the architecture of the models for
notifications, what gets singleton and

Frederik Gladhorn:
* done some patches on kscreen
** D12405 needs to be decided upon
** D14165
** 14143
* I started with the OSD now, I'd like it to be usable with keyboard and I
would actually like to add something in the kcm to show the osd. It needs a
more discoverable workflow (maybe when a new screen is connected?)

David:
* I had that patch from weeks ago, Kai reviewed it in person, I just only
noticed when you lot made me open p-f for that elements size bug
*‎ in general I had an SDDM week
*‎ SDDM had a release with some bug fixes (lots of thanks to Fabian)
* then I went on a review merging spree
* this week I want to focus on porting Kwin's ScriptedEffects to QJSEngine

Marco:
* Wayland Virtual Desktops:
** address some comments on the KWin review (D13887)
** simplified a bit the wayland protocol removing a method that we ended up not
using (and that introduced ugly assumptions) D12820
** fully implemented drag and drop between desktops in desktop grid (i would
like to change an already existing keyboard modifier tough)
** solved disappearing virtual desktops bug Eike had at second plasma restart
---
* System settings
** fixed some bugs of the sidebar mode
---
* Kirigami:
** published on phab the collapsible sidebar mode D14211
** fixed a rendering glitch in list items
** removed the ctrl+q shortcut from ApplicationItem
--
Problems:
* dbus protocol still not there, fixing desktop grid taken too much time... Im

--
Marco Martin