Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:26:52 BST 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> work - 1
> work - 2
> browsing - 1
> browsing - 2

I really don't like having a different set of desktops for each
activity, to me would be really confusing, and i don't think it would
cover my main use case? (switching activities
Perhaps i could live with that if a desktop can be associated to one
and only one activity, which is how i understood it (so then you can
switch to the activity when you switch desktop), but if there are
multiple desktops per activity, still showing them all in the pager
is.. weird

> With KAMD only switching the DBus currentActivity when switching between the first two desktops to the last two.

What would be the workflow/ui of adding a new virtual desktop, or
adding a new activity? have some UI questions that I think should be
answered before decising how viable the direction is.

there would need to be:
* an operation that creates an activity with its associated desktop
* an operation which creates another desktop for the current activity
both in the pager? one in the pager and the other one in the activity manager?

* What happens when you delete an activity? all its desktops get deleted?
* What happens when you delete the last desktop for an activity? the
activity gets deleted?

is it possible to create an ux workflow which makes this not confusing?

--
Marco Martin