Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:15:43 BST 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:03 PM Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Just read the phab discussion. If I misunderstood the situation, please
> correct me.
>
> Wondering where the original discussion happened where 'we' decided to
> merge two orthogonal concepts into one. Can you point me to the relevant
> thread on plasma-devel?
>
> If this is about providing a unified implementation in kwin for both VDs
> and activities, I'm fine with that. If not, then continue reading.
>
> VDs are for managing windows - a solution for the 'I don't have a screen
> large enough for all these windows'.
>
> Activities are for managing work - a solution to the 'I don't want
> documents/files/etc. from separate projects to get jumbled up together'.

Personally i always used virtual desktops exactly for that, as
"activities", even before activities were a thing, "i need a new physical
space to stuff new windows" is not an use case that ever occurred to me in
any way.... noted that there are people which see virtual desktops like
that.. will have to be taken into account somehow, still consider it a
pretty crazy use case tough.

Ironically, to me activities never were really able to replace virtual
desktops as "activities", because its window management part never got the
love it deserved nad always lookedlike a kinda broken virtual desktop
implementation, so always falled back to the "multiple workspaces"
implementation kwin was really built around.. which is virtual desktops.

> Previously, we had problems when we tried to equate activities with any
> specific thing. As in, 'an activity is a group of Plasma widgets'. The same
> will happen if the activity becomes 'a group of windows'.
>
> This has been discussed quite a few times before.

mostly because i think the whole concept of activities always was a blurry
thing, because each one working on them had a different idea about them to
begin with

--
Marco Martin