Raising windows on Wayland

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jul 3 17:05:18 BST 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 6:02 PM Martin Flöser <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> Am 2018-07-03 14:45, schrieb Aleix Pol:
> > Dear kwiners,
> > Would it be possible to find a way to do so?
> >
> > I know we don't want windows to be positioning themselves willy-nilly
> > on the window stack, but we certainly need to figure out his use-case.
> >
> > What would need to happen to do this?
> >
> > If you need to, I can compile a list of use-cases.
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> this really depends on the use case. Instead of allowing general raising
> I would prefer to make the workflows work correctly. E.g. if you want
> that the polkit authentication dialog is above discover we can make this
> work right now without needing to implement window raising.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

That's not the use-case.

A use-case is I was using Discover, someone pressed
appstream://org.kde.kate and wants to install it. Discover changes but
doesn't go into the foreground.
Similarly, we want the web browser to raise after we've pressed a URL on an app.
Another thing I keep hitting: I open telegram or konversation on
krunner, nothing happens. It's because it's open somewhere under my
current window.

Aleix