D13745: Implement support for virtual desktops on Wayland

Michail Vourlakos noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 3 15:36:25 BST 2018

mvourlakos added a comment.

  In D13745#286501 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13745#286501>, @hein wrote:

  > A lot of this is still up in the air, but here's the rough plan:
  >
  > 0. X11 will remain unchanged. The feature set of Activities will remain unchanged.
  >
  > 1. For 5.14, we want to have virtual desktops working on Wayland, with feature parity to X11. Activities will not yet work on Wayland. The new Wayland protocol allows windows to be on more than one desktop and it allows for multiple concurrently active desktops, but these abilities will not be used in 5.14, they will only be present in the API (hence the API changes).
  > 2. For 5.15, we want to sync Activities to virtual desktops on Wayland, meaning adding/removing Activities is how you add/remove virtual desktops, and switching/activating VDs==switching/activating Activities.
  >
  >   That means on Wayland on 5.15+ (if this schedule holds) the default Task Manager would just hide all the virtual desktop UI, exposing only the activities UI.

  I see...

  The thing is that I can undestand the technical solution at some point but from user point of view I think that there will be issues.
  Personally I start from the user point of view how things will and should work and then I am focusing on the technical solution.

  If I understood correctly VDs in the future will be Activities but without the extra space that someone might need for its windows.
  That will break the workflow for the VDs users who are the majority of the linux desktop
  (take note that I am not :). I am Activities heavy user that always uses one VD)).

  If plasma devs agree on that roadmap then there are things that should be introduced in the future in order to make the VDs
  users life a bit easier.

  e.g. When a new Activity will be created shouldnt look exactly as the active one and be always in sync with it?
  e.g. I am working on my current actitivity and I am writing a note on the desktop. I am creating a new Activity,
  should that Activity look the same as the previous one and if I change the note in the first to look the same and in
  the second? (at this example a current VDs user would answer should be in sync and always the same, a current
  Activity user would answer it doesnt matter)

  I fear that if this isnt orchestrated correctly with VDG a new debate for VDs and Activities
  will relaunch just like the plasma 4 and 5 debates for the matter.

  You can read my personal opinion for the matter at: https://psifidotos.blogspot.com/2012/03/activities-and-workareas-draft.html
  I dont object in any alternative solution but the solution should be designed from
  the user point of view first and then starting implementing.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace