D13745: Implement support for virtual desktops on Wayland

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 3 15:09:35 BST 2018

hein added a comment.

  A lot of this is still up in the air, but here's the rough plan:

  0. X11 will remain unchanged. The feature set of Activities will remain unchanged.

  1. For 5.14, we want to have virtual desktops working on Wayland, with feature parity to X11. Activities will not yet work on Wayland. The new Wayland protocol allows windows to be on more than one desktop and it allows for multiple concurrently active desktops, but these abilities will not be used in 5.14, they will only be present in the API (hence the API changes).

  2. For 5.15, we want to sync Activities to virtual desktops on Wayland, meaning adding/removing Activities is how you add/remove virtual desktops, and switching/activating VDs==switching/activating Activities.

  That means on Wayland on 5.15+ (if this schedule holds) the default Task Manager would just hide all the virtual desktop UI, exposing only the activities UI.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace