D10032: Swap play/pause icons in mediacontroller plasmoid

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jan 23 19:26:26 UTC 2018

davidedmundson added a comment.

  > That might be a sign that it's unintuitive and confusing for a lot of our users. Perhaps we should reconsider.

  I agree there's a problem. We have the same icon meaning two different things and there's no visual clues to infer from context.

  But I'm far from convinced by the solution.

  Plasma volume is interesting:

    The behaviour of the system tray shows state. It shows a speaker when the speakers are on.

  (which is what we do here. This patch is the equivalent to us showing mute when the speakers are on)

    The buttons next to the sliders to toggle mute show the current state, not the intended state

  (equivalent to us showing the play button on the popup controls when we're actively playing.. the inverse of this patch.)

    In the KCM / settings; the mute button shows the mute icon constantly and is a toggle button.

  (so plasma pa is inconsistent with itself, and thus not the best place to draw conclusions from :/)

  I'd like to see new ideas, I'm very reluctant to just inverse the meaning of a prominent icon that our userbase are now familiar with, it'll confuse everyone who's been using it for the past N years.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace