DBus statusnotifier (aka systray) daemon/bridge for GTk/XFCE environments?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:46:16 UTC 2018

David Edmundson wrote:

My previous reply to this seems to have gone missing.

> That plugin has it's own system tray handling that uses KNotification,
> instead of the platform DBus code you looked at in Qt.
> Combined with a getenv check in knotification will be the source of your
> issue.

I was right, the issue of KF5 systrays moving to the XFCE panel on Mac was due
to Knotifications. The platform plugin just attempts to make every Qt
application use the KNotifications wrapper around QSystemTrayIcon and is thus
not the real culprit.
I've written a prototype fix (forcing legacy mode on platforms where that mode
should be preferred) which I'll present in due time via the appropriate channel.

R.