DBus statusnotifier (aka systray) daemon/bridge for GTk/XFCE environments?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:50:50 UTC 2018

David Edmundson wrote:

> You missed reading the code that calls this in
> src/widgets/util/qsystemtrayicon_x11.cpp which will make an X system tray
> if the platform doesn't.

I understand now why this doesn't happen in my case. Out of scope here.

> That plugin has it's own system tray handling that uses KNotification,
> instead of the platform DBus code you looked at in Qt.
> Combined with a getenv check in knotification will be the source of your
> issue.

Yes, I know the plugin modifies things in this domain. But it can only do that
when it's actually installed and loaded and as already mentioned several times
that doesn't matter here. I haven't yet had the time to look at what
KNotification does. I doubt that it can see from a getenv check if a SNI host is
present on the DBus. It may have to check the actual platform name in order to
be really thorough (via QCoreApplication or KWindowSystem; last time I asked,
Qt's official standpoint was "we support all QPA plugins that build on a given
platform).

It could help me to know what env. variable KNotification looks for?
If you refer to KDE_FULL_SESSION or KDE_SESSION_VERSION, those aren't set in
this particular case, and QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=cocoa .