D13415: Reshape Kickoff avatar to a circle with Opacity Mask

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Aug 29 18:23:47 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D13415#317064 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13415#317064>, @sharvey wrote:

  > Thanks for the investigation. I've been hoping someone else would lend a pair of eyes to this problem for ages.
  >
  > When you change the icon in `user-manager` repeatedly, are you prompted for a root password **every time**? On my system (Tumbleweed), there's a "grace period" where I don't get re-prompted and the icon doesn't change reliably.

  Right, there is a "grace period" of five minutes after every time you enter your password. This is built into PolicyKit, I believe. As far as I can tell from keeping a Dolphin window open showing the contents of `/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/`, the icon immediately gets updated correctly on disk every single time I change it in `user-manager`. I'm unable to fully confirm your assertion that the icon only reliably gets changed in Kickoff after being promped for a password. For me, it's a bit more subtle than that: the icon only reliably gets changed in Kickoff  the **first** time I change it in `user-manager` that triggers a PolKit prompt after plasmashell has been started or restarted. I get a blank circle for all other circumstances:

  - Change icon in `user-manager` after restarting plasmashell less than 5 minutes after the last change, such that there is no PolKit prompt
  - Change icon in `user-manager` twice after restarting plasmashell, waiting more than 5 minutes each time so a PolKit prompt will be triggered; second update does not change Kickoff

  I can also confirm @hein's report that this patch is 100% reliable when **not** using `user-manager`. I patched `KUser::faceIconPath()` in `KCoreAddons` to only ever return the `~/.face.icon` path, instead of `/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/$username`, and it becomes 100% reliable. I don't get the "Unsupported image format" error anymore, which is a little odd because the two images are identical:

  $  (master) md5sum /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/dev ~/.face.icon
  28badcce926e3e4b1696e8bcac7b04d9  /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/dev
  28badcce926e3e4b1696e8bcac7b04d9  /home/dev/.face.icon

  What a weird bug.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop