D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 24 23:59:55 BST 2018

filipf added a comment.

  To add more to the analysis, since Kickoff is a plasmoid, what seemed like a good idea to me was to have a look at how other plasmoids are designed (especially with relevance to the elements touched on in this proposal).

  The Clipboard plasmoid stood out to me because as another unibody plasmoid, it seems to me like it handles the search box gracefully. I created some pics, this time with Breeze Dark to switch it up a bit:

  F6213801: ClipboardSearch.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6213801>

  Behavior: (1) non-selected it doesn't have an outer glow or a colored stroke; (2) when hovered over the stroke inherits the selection color; (3) only when clicked on or typed it does it turn on outer glow and the text selection linen blings

  Copied into Kickoff it doesn't look too bad (left pic). Since Kickoff is and can be more transparent, if possible what would help blend it in more is to lower the opacity by maybe 15-20% (right pic):

  F6213813: ClipboardSearchKickoff.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6213813>

  Now as for adding differentation in Kickoff, my observations were:

  - Kickoff isn't actually unibody -> if we look closely, Breeze Dark reveals that it actually places tabs into squares + other tabs such as the Application one already have separators
  - Other plasmoids do make use of separators, adding them would not create a design inconsistency on the whole
  - Although not as common, some plasmoids do also shade certain sections differently (e.g. plasma-pa), so at least what can be concluded is that shading a part of Kickoff differently also wouldn't be unprecedented

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop