D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Safa Alfulaij noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 24 17:45:26 BST 2018

safaalfulaij added a comment.

  In D15011#314738 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#314738>, @filipf wrote:

  > Exactly! In your second proposal I don't think the serachbox sticks out, even as it is. At least to me it looks fine. At the same time it is drawing back, albeit not totally, to old Kickoff so there would have to be good designer conceptualization and solution for how to keep it modern.
  >
  > When I look at Kickoff now and just think narrowly: how can I make the search more prominent and keep designer consistency, what makes most sense to me is to reuse the horizontal blue line we already have as a Kickoff tab selection indicator, and even as the indicators of open windows and plasmoids. These lines are indeed minimalist. Unfortunately that looks terrible:
  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > Not even making it a classic Breeze 1px line feels right, although I guess it's a bit better:
  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > I've had a look at that setup. It's pretty sleek. But we have to consider that YouTube still keeps a full-fledged serachbox on their homepage, and the channel is a less important of a place. So if we apply that to Kickoff, it looks like this:
  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > And then when it's opened it would look like this:
  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > IMO we still haven't solved the problem of it not being obvious that you can search. Maybe having a search icon isn't a bad idea though, but I think we'd still have to make it more obvious somehow:
  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > This was just a little foray into what is possible, nothing definitive or great. In the pictures I've shortened the search box so that there is equal distance from the left and right edge of Kickoff, for symmetry reasons mostly, but also because I am a bit bothered that the Favorites tab is wasting about 60% of horizontal space on nothing and I didn't want to drag attention to the right side. This may be fixed when we get a new Home tab and isn't too important right now anyway.

  Well, I think the one with the line seems nice, the thinner one of course.
  And about the icon, maybe we should just keep it an icon to the right of the user at host label, and that's it? Something like this?

  F6213215: Screenshot_٢٠١٨٠٨٢٤_١٩٢٢٤٧.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6213215>

  (I was trying to make a video but then bindings failed, so stepped back).
  We can add a “Search…” text to that button, or a tooltip (not sure about HIG stuff). But I think that such a button (as is) is more than enough to inform users about the search functionality.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop