D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 24 04:43:26 BST 2018

ngraham added a subscriber: sharvey.
ngraham added a comment.

  Actually both Kicker and System Settings give their search fields visible focus by default. Kicker does make the field visibly lose focus after you start using the keyboard to navigate through the list of returned items, though. That's a nice touch and I'll do that here.

  But maybe we should think through why we're objecting to having the search field be visibly focused in the first place--because in general, the thing that accepts keyboard input //should// look visibly focused. Rather than violate that principle, let's try to figure out what's making us want to in the first place.

  Perhaps the white background and blinking cursor appear too attention-getting in comparison to the rest of Kickoff, which tries very hard to be flat and gray and avoid separators (e.g. between the different sections and the tab bar at the bottom or the header on top). I wonder if we wouldn't feel like the search field was so jarring if there were better differentiation between other elements. For example:

  F6212312: It works.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6212312>

  Or perhaps if the list views used a lighter background color:

  F6212335: It works.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6212335>

  Just a thought, crude mockups, etc.

  Also probably the header area will look better defined if @sharvey's patch to put the avatars inside a circle (D13415 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13415>) lands.

REPOSITORY