D14869: [RFC] Increase default font sizes by 1 pt

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 16 10:02:18 BST 2018

filipf added a comment.

  Even in your screenshots 11pt looks too big and 13pt titlebars are just obscene.

  There are a few use cases where it pays of to have 11pt fonts - namely when you have a full HD laptop screens that would require 1.2 scaling and you'd prefer to do it the fonts way. On proper monitors it just looks too big. It' not necessary, but if you want to point out the titlebars an elegant touch can be to just have it the same size as the default font size, but use the semibold font style.

  I'm also not sure if other OS' default to 11pt. In Windows 7 you could easily check these settings in the window metrics dialog and I'm pretty sure it was either 9 or 10 by default. On the other hand, I don't have too much experience with Windows 10. It seems to me that their new Fluent Design project is using larger fonts than before, but it also seems to me like they're inconsistent about font sizes right now .

  As for font rendering, if you want to mimic the Apple's approach of preserving the typeface then the settings are: hinting=off, subpixel rendering=rbg, lcdfilder=lcddefault. Hinting distorts the typeface and is prone to producing jaggedness that, yes, goes away a bit when you increase font sizes.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop