Missing mouse pointer in KWin on Wayland with Etnaviv

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Oct 31 01:56:20 UTC 2017

Hello!

The past weekend I made Plasma Mobile work on our preliminary
"devboard" for the Purism Librem 5 phone (which at the moment is not
much more than a i.mx6 CPU with peripherals/a screen - it will be much
more exciting soon).

The system is running Debian Testing (Buster) with KDE libraries found
there (Plasma 5.10.5 (KWin 5.10.5), KF 5.37.0, ...) and Plasma Mobile
Git master. With some fiddling and Bhushan's help I got it to work.
The only real obstacle was Debian's really outdated version of
libepoxy, which made KWin not detect the OpenGL ES features (to be
fixed soonish in Debian).
Also, did you know that you get screen artifacts and "stripes" as soon
as you run kwin_wayland as root and not as regular user? ;-)

Anyway, the only real issue is panels vanishing in the mobile shell
(apparently a known issue and soon resolved) and KWin not showing any
mouse pointer (as well as - to be expected - performance currently).

For a phone we obviously don't need a mouse pointer, but at the moment
I can only interact with the UI by clicking blindly, which is not
ideal for testing. So, do you have an idea on what might be wrong
here?
(The logs I know of don't show anything related to this issue). If
this is a real bug and not a configuration mistake, I'll file a bug.

Anyway, there will be a blogpost about this soon, with pretty pictures
I hope ;-)

I also think we should get Plasma Mobile into Debian as soon as
possible. For that we'd (ideally) need a release tarball. I talked to
Bhushan about this, and he is preparing something.

Cheers,
    Matthias