Bold font rendering

Julian Wolff wolff at julianwolff.de
Tue Oct 17 16:04:01 UTC 2017

Am Freitag, 6. Oktober 2017, 13:49:07 CEST schrieb Guanpeng Xu:
> Hello,
>
> I found an issue on bold font rendering in KDE Frameworks 5.37.0 using Qt
> 5.9.1, on NixOS 17.09.1502.19879836d1.
>
> The issue was previously discussed here: https://marc.info/?l=kde&m=150
> 728730630509&w=2 The discussion there seems to suggest that it has
> something to do with QML.
>
> This issue is about rendering bold fonts on some widgets, while using some
> styles.
>
> This first snapshot, of choosing window decorator in System Settings, shows
> the different effects of bold fonts in three different styles:
>

>> It can be seen that only Plastik renders bold text on the title bar
> correctly.
>

>> The two snapshots above show the rendering effects of bold fonts in the
> bottom panel. All except the fonts in the digital clock below are not
> rendered correctly. The style used is Fusion. The result is the same in the
> default style Breeze.
>
> And, I am not sure if this is related, but some Chinese characters are not
> anti-aliased in the GTK-based program Nightly in Breeze.
>

> ​In the above snapshot, the Chinese characters in the title bar, using the
> Plastik style, are anti-aliased, while the ones on the Nightly tab, using
> the Breeze style, are not.
>

> ​A similar result. The blue "查看历史" is rendered by Nightly, and is
> anti-aliased. The one in the text field is not. Note also that Latin
> characters are anti-aliased correctly, as shown by the gray "Search" in the
> search bar.
>
> Best regards,
> Guanpeng Xu

Hello Guanpeng Xu,

I'd suggest you to file two seperate bugs at https://bugs.kde.org/ .
This issue is probably worth a bug report, as I read from your reference that
it occured at least on two different systems. And a bug report will not get
lost.

Please also add some informations about your system to these bug reports:

- What are the font rendering settings in systemsettings?
- Which versions/flavors of freetype/fontconfig are installed on your system?
- What are the display settings in systemsettings?

Cheers,
Julian